With rising popularity of Twitter, more and more applications are being developed and integrated with twitter for making life of users more comfortable and generating some good money out of it. Warid has also introduced this application that allows Warid customers to use twitter services through simple SMS instead of using the GPRS/EDGE.
The service is in English as well as Urdu and is called Twitter SMS Service. For using the service, one needs to have an account on twitter.com. You can activate the application by doing the following;
- Send START to 40404 to begin using the service
- Reply to the SMS with your Twitter Username and Password
- Confirm your information by replying with ‘OK’
- After confirming your information, any SMS sent to 40404 will become a Tweet that is sent to your followers. All Tweets can be viewed when you visit your account online
The application is integrated in such a way that whatever you do on your phone is reflected on your twitter timeline when you are online. Every SMS sent as a tweet to the short code 40404 will be charged Re. 1 + tax.
- ON: turns ALL authorized Twitter updates and notifications on.
- OFF: turns ALL phone notifications off.
- ON [username]: turns on notifications for a specific person on your phone. Example: ON ali
- OFF [username]: turns off notifications for a specific person on your phone. Example: OFF bilal
- FOLLOW [username]: allows you to start following a specific user, as well as receive SMS notifications. Example: FOLLOW junaid, or f junaid, for short.
- UNFOLLOW [username]: allows you to stop following a specific user.
- LEAVE [username]: this command allows you to stop receiving SMS notifications for a specific user without having to unfollow them. When you log into twitter.com from the web you will still see this user’s updates in your timeline. Example: LEAVE ayesha, or l ayesha, for short.
- STOP, QUIT, END, CANCEL or UNSUBSCRIBE: will deactivate your account if you are an SMS-only user. If you completed the sign-up flow on the web, sending any of these commands to your Twitter short code will simply remove your phone number from your Twitter account.
- Using ON/OFF [username] from your phone only stops notifications coming to your mobile phone; you’ll still collect a person’s updates on the web since you’re still following them.
i. Use UNFOLLOW [username] to unfollow a user via SMS.
ii. Use BLOCK [username] to block a user via SMS.
- Following someone from a phone for the first time will also cause you to follow them on the web.
Use the commands below to send direct messages, mark Tweets as favorites, and more:
- @[username] + message – shows your Tweet as a reply directed at another person, and causes your Tweet to save in their mentions tab. Example: @sara I love that song too!
- D [username] + message – sends that person a Direct Message that goes to their device, and saves in their web archive.
- M [username] + message – sends a private message to the person. (Examples: d ahmad want to watch a movie tonight? or m ahmad want to watch a movie tonight? performs the same action).
- RT [username] – sends that user’s latest Tweet to your followers (also known as a Retweet). Example: RT Fatima
- SET LOCATION [place name] – updates the location field in your profile. Example: set location Lahore
- SET LANGUAGE [language name] – selects the language you’d like to receive notifications in. Example: set language Urdu
- SET NAME [name here] – sets the name field on your Twitter profile. Example: set name Ali Ahmad
- WHOIS [username] – retrieves the profile information for any public user on Twitter. Example: whois salman or w salman, for short.
- GET [username] – retrieves the latest Twitter update posted by that person. You can also use g [username] to get a user’s latest Tweet. Example: get Official Warid or g Official Warid.
- FAV [username] – marks that user’s last Tweet as one of your favorites (reply to any update with FAV, FAVE, or FAVORITE to mark it as a favorite if you’re receiving it in real time). Example: fav Official Warid , fave Official Warid , or favorite Official Warid.
- STATS [username] – this command returns the given user’s number of followers, how many people they’re following, and their bio information.
- HELP – texting help or info to Twitter will bring up helpful tips.
- SUGGEST – this command returns a listing of Twitter users’ accounts we think you might enjoy following.
For list of official Twitter commands click here